1.12.2012

Comfort Food: Buko Shake

You know what made my day today? (Other than my daughter, of course.) It's this...
One of my most favorite beverages: BUKO SHAKE!

The word buko (boo-kowh) is Filipino for young coconut. Although nowadays the word buko is used more often than niyog (nee-yog) which is the actual Filipino word for mature coconut.

Basically it's coconut flesh blended with crushed ice and sweeteners. I'm pretty sure one is sugar.. I don't know what the other one is. Some kind of a syrupy substance that they also add in (?).

The texture is chunky with the first few sips because of the ice but later on it melts and it's just smooth sweet coconut heaven.

If you're new to this product I guess you would see the packaging as a little odd. The bottle cap is actually useless except for holding the straw in place and making the whole thing almost leak-proof. I just hate the fact that it's all plastic, making it not so eco-friendly. My guess though is that it's just a way of keeping the drink chilled for longer.

The buko shake has become so popular lately that many franchises have now sprouted from the ground. All of them are doing fairly well in my opinion because it's such a huge hit.

But if you ask me to choose between this and the old fashioned fresh coconut water? I'd always go for the natural. Coconut water is obviously healthier, and buko shake is just one of my comfort food. It's easily accessible, it can definitely satisfy my sweet tooth craving, and it's a great drink to combat Philippine weather. 

Just remember, if you find the same love for it that I have, drink moderately. I had it too sweet today so my tonsils are a little sore right now and I don't think I'll be having another bottle in a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would really love a comment! Please feel free to write one. Thanks!